-
July 17th, 2004, 03:04 PM
#1
Inactive Member
OK ... decided I would like to go with 203b ... any sources out there? just missed an auction on ebay... or any other similarily sized large format horn?
thanks
-
July 17th, 2004, 11:24 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Once again I think I can help you out. I have a 203B laying in the garage, that I probably won't be using...email me and we can work out a deal.
-
July 18th, 2004, 02:00 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Just for curiosity sake, why are you planning to use a compression driver in a guitar cab?
-
July 18th, 2004, 10:17 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Scottertrs might be onto something using a compression driver for gituar. It was my good fortune to get my two Altec 311-60 horns from this guy who played gituar in a rock band and all he used was an Altec 100W amp with the low cutoff engaged feeding two 291 drivers direct. No, bass cabinet or speaker. He swore that people love the sound. (I bet he never was at a loss for volume.)
A horn for gituar, go for it!!
-
July 18th, 2004, 02:05 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I posted in another thread on this board about this also...doesn't everybody on here like the sound of music (including guitars) coming out of these old horns!? As long as he is using a cone driver to bring up the low end, and has them balanced correctly, it should sound great.
-
July 18th, 2004, 02:54 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Don't get me wrong fellas, I'm all for trying new things on the quest for great guitar tone,lets just say I've been down that road & can say what I've experienced.
I do know that for clean sounds the compression drivers will excell for the trasient responce of the picking dinamics, but if you intend on using this cab with a guitar amp, & clipping the amp so as to obtain the desired overdrive caracteristics that so many of us guitar players use for lead & harder rock sounds, it will sound rather bad & possibly do damage to the drivers.
The way I use a two way system in my rig is to monitor my effects wich are fed by a mic signal from a guitar cabinet,the only other option I can fathom is to run a preamp like a POD, BOSS, or DIDGITEC unit with a speaker simulated output into a power amp & then into a three way cab.
-
July 18th, 2004, 04:28 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Hey, what sounds good to you is all that matters,I have to add that I haven't experienced what you describe unless the amp I'm using isn't working properly, eg, old worn tubes,cold bias, speaker polarity out of phase,ect.
Are you using the pod with the compensated speaker simulation? It will dullen the tone if you are using it into a guitar cab, or sometimes using delay & other time based effects in front of your amp will cloud your tone & sometimes sound ****** if the amp is pushed into overdrive.
A Fender Dual Showman or espesially Marshall should dish out lots of harmonics so I would lean towards the signal chain being the problem if the amplifiers are indeed working properly.
I hope you get the sound you're after when it's all said & done, good luck!
-
July 19th, 2004, 03:22 AM
#8
Inactive Member
Well as it is, I find that coming from my dual showman fender amp and Marshall bottom... oloaded with celestions... I get terrific bottom end, fairly decent mids but the harmonics of the highs are lost in the mud... I also tried a Marshall head.... same difference... and if I try to fix the tone with the knobs, I lose bottom... I experimented once a while ago with my 511b horns turned way down through a 501b xover and also through a homemade xover crossing over at around 2.5k and when used with the 2.5 k exclusively, I balanced out the sound quite well... if the 501b was only used for feeding highs... then it was ok as long as I kept the power to the horn not too loud...
BTW I am using a pod to feed the showman for effects.... and have not had any problems with the driver (808-8a)but have blown a couple of horn protective fuses... I do keep them low (1/2 amp)... I do have another concern and that is that when the guitar/amp goes into a sustain/feedback loop... I am afraid of hurting the horn... and as such I have not mounted the horn near the cab or the guitar...
still, this is a work in progress... sounds crazy huh?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks